OK, first blog post…no pressure!
For quite a while now I’ve been grappling with the idea of starting a blog. On one hand I LOVE the idea of sharing recipes and DIYs with friends and the internet at large but on the other hand I wonder if I’ll run out of things to post about in less than a week! It feels like I’m opening the curtains of my life and giving the world a look inside. All that said I have around zero followers right now so let’s give it a whirl!
The premise for this blog will be FOOD! Cooking food, eating food, talking about food, and rarely do I do any of those things without a cocktail in hand – thus Will Cook for Cocktails it is. I’ll also sprinkle in a pinch of DIY (as a fairly new homeowner I have many projects to tackle) and lifestyle posts (I’m a passionate Edmontonian and downtown dweller who loves to talk about this city and all the goings on in it).
But to kick things off it just has to be a food post and one of my all-time favorite things to eat has to be Chicken ‘n’ Waffles! If you’re not feeling up to cooking up your own version of CnW I highly recommend you pay The Common a visit and order up a plate of theirs. These Chicken ‘n’ Waffles have turned friends into foes and lovely polite ladies into gluttonous unrefined sea hags.
Now, many have questioned me about this particular dish, “Really? Chicken and waffles? I don’t get it” and to them I say shut up and eat it! And never once have I heard anything less than orgasmic mummers come out of those mouths.
The CnW recipe I want to share is from a recent Instragram post (@lindsceebee), I dubbed them Mini Chicken ‘n’ Waffles (obvs).
These suckers are quick and easy! They can be served hot or at room temperature and you can improvise with what you have on hand. Here’s what I used:
- 1 Package of Kellogs® Eggo® Minis
- 2-3 Chicken Breasts, cut into 1-1½ inch pieces
- A bowl of All Purpose Flour (a small bowl, let’s call it 1-1½ cup)
- 1 Egg
- 1-1½ cups Kellogs® Corn Flake Crumbs
- Hot Sauce
- Green Onion, chopped
- Any seasonings you like for the Corn Flake Crumbs (salt and pepper, dry mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, whatever floats you boat)
OK now preheat your oven to 400 degrees and set up your breading station:
- Get your flour in a small bowl, next to that crack the egg into a bowl and whisk with a fork (I added a little hot sauce to this, because I’m crazy like that), and next to that fill a bowl with your Corn Flake Crumbs (you could totally use regular bread crumbs or panko but the Corn Flakes give the chicken serious crunch). You can season the crumbs however you like; I kept it simple with salt, pepper, and a little cayenne.
- Toss the chicken pieces in the flour first and then coat with the egg mixture and lastly roll in the Corn Flake Crumbs. Once coated line the chicken piece on an oiled baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- When the chicken is almost done toast the Mini Eggos.
- Assemble! Top each Eggo with a piece of chicken, and drizzle with honey (you could sub in maple syrup if you prefer) and a little more hot sauce. Top with a sprinkle of the chopped green onion and serve.
There you have it, a perfect game day snack!
If you’re wondering what cocktail I would recommend to wash down a delicious mouthful of Mini Chicken ‘n’ Waffles I would go for a Bud Lime Lime-A-Rita®. Cheers!