Have you ever tried to make your own salad dressing? I often do and I always find it surprising how people seem to be so impressed by a homemade dressing when in reality it is so insanely easy to make. Seriously, you’re going to kick yourself for every bottle of Kraft Calorie Wise Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing you’ve ever purchased!
Making a quick and healthy salad dressing can be as easy as a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon (don’t forget a little salt ‘n’ pepper) over your greens so really there are zero excuses to pay all that money for “calcium disodium edta” (WTF is that?).
This is a super-fast recipe for my go to Balsamic Vinaigrette, you’ll need:
- 1/3 cup of aged balsamic vinegar (try some of the amazing flavoured varieties from EVOOLUTION)
- 2/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil (again if you find a fun flavoured one, have at ‘er)
- 1-2 cloves of crushed garlic
- ½ a shallot (if you have one, if you don’t I wouldn’t go out of your way to find one just exclude it)
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey *Secret Ingredient Alert*
- Salt and Pepper
Put all the ingredients in a trendy mason jar, sealed tightly and give them a shake. If you have time to let it sit in the fridge for a few minutes do so, otherwise serve immediately. This should keep in your in your fridge for a couple of weeks.
You might be saying to yourself, “Great, thanks Lindsay, I’ll just drink some balsamic vinaigrette for dinner tonight…yum”. Well calm your titties! I have a delicious Caprese Salad recipe to enjoy with a hefty drizzle of your homemade dressing. For the Caprese Salad gather up:
- 3+ vine ripened tomatoes, sliced, chopped – whatever feels right
- 1 container of fresh mozzarella in its liquid, you’ll find this in the deli area of your grocery store. There are all different sizes of mozzarella balls, I usually like the big ones (insert big balls joke here).
- 1 handful of basil, chiffonade (roll it up like a cigar and slice into ribbons)
- Some mixed greens or just plain ol’ spinach
Layer your greens and tomatoes into a salad bowl. Top with slices or chunks of mozzarella, sprinkle in the basil and then drizzle the works with your balsamic dressing. POOF! Dinner is done!
I packed up my salad to take for lunch today and it was delicious. You could easily add some grilled chicken to make this a hearty meal or serve little bite sized Caprese salads on a toothpick for an adorable appie.