This beautiful sunshine has me craving BBQ deliciousness! I love BBQ’ed anything! So in light of that I thought you might enjoy a recipe I recently fell in love with from Iowa Girl Eats for a Chipotle Mango BBQ Sauce. She uses the BBQ sauce to make a killer grilled chicken salad but I’ve used it now with chicken, beef, and pork and it’s to die for! Don’t worry homemade BBQ sauce isn’t nearly as complicated as you might think! All you need is:
- 1 Mango, Chopped
- 1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo (plus some of the Adobo Sauce) or more if you think you can handle it!
- 1/3 C Ketchup (I cut back on the this a little from the original recipe)
- ½ C Apple Juice
- ¼ C Onion, Chopped
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, Crushed
- Juice from ½ Lemon
- 2 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar (in the Asian aisle at the store)
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbps Canola Oil
- 2 tsp Paprika (you could totally experiment here with whatever you have on hand; I think a smokey cumin would also be great!)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Now all you do is toss all that together in a pot, bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer for 15-20 mins or until the consistency is to your liking. Let it cool and then whiz it up in a food processor/blender/magic bullet but I like to leave it a little chunky, doesn’t have to be perfect! Slather your grilled chicken or hamburgers in this sauce for a sweet and spicy kick or try grilling your corn on the cob and brushing it with this sauce as it cooks. Also, if you want to ensure your invite to the next neighbourhood block party pack some of this sauce up in a small mason jar, make it look pretty with ribbons ‘n’ shit and there you have it, a fabulous hostess gift.